Old 02-13-2020, 3:30pm   #6
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,059 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMechZ16 View Post
I don't wanna comment any more than thanking your post. Mick might come in here and mop the floor with my suggestions.
Only if they are dumb. Oh, so in other words, yes.

The first thing I would do is drive over to the local Auto Zone or similar on my way home from work today and have them test my battery. It takes about 2 minutes, and they usually do it for free, so why not eliminate something off the top.

These voltages, are they from the voltmeter in the car, or a handheld one tested at the alternator? If it is the voltmeter in the car, I would see if the Auto Zone place will test your alternator, also usually free and only takes a few minutes. If they don't do that, and you have a multi-meter, you can test it yourself at home. It's more or less doing what you already did, but relying on your multi-meter rather than the meter in the dash. There are numerous YouTube videos giving an easy procedure to run the test.

How long has this been going on? If it has been a week or two, and your battery hasn't gone dead yet, I'd bet your alternator is good, but testing it is quick, easy, and also free.

FWIW: I suspect DJ is right and the problem is the voltage regulator.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post: