Old 04-01-2020, 2:28pm   #6
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 62.9%

Thanked 23,718 Times in 9,803 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Sorry, I don't understand the terminology of this, how in hell can you 'print' a part for something?? need the plastic it's made of and some way to make the chunk of plastic conform to the printed shape....no??

how about the metal parts.....I read of allusions to guys doing this in some shop environment but that means some method of making a chunk of metal conform to some 3D PRINT??? how in hell you PRINT a machine tool process???

or is it all just a stretch of the word print??? seems like it to me....

certainly not off MY printer.....
Basically you have a roll of plastic or some other material(wood fiber, carbon fiber for example) and the machine melts it and it sticks to the other Plastic or the printer bed in a precise location (x, y and z dimensions).
Yes metal can be 3d printed also, there are also powder printers and others adapted to cut instead of print.
The typical 3d printer uses PLA or ABS usually.
Quality depends on filament used, software settings and the printer. You can print quickly for drafts(think before you sand wood after routing) or super slow and using the right filament it's almost undetectable it's thousands of layers.
The machines are actually simple machines and CPU's. The price point came down so the normal guy can afford them the last couple of years.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote