Old 04-21-2023, 7:38am   #4
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,784 Times in 2,826 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOHOLIC View Post
Well I have nothing to hide and don’t believe anything I have posted would be of any value to anyone.
Be careful. A lot of bank-level security uses questions/ answers as innocuous as 'did you own such-and-such type car'. I haven't seen anything related to work history though.

My first "job" was working with my grandfather doing DIY projects, including leveling houses, plumbing, roofing, and general carpentry.

I learned electrical and basic automotive from my Dad. I have always maintained and fixed my own cars.

As soon as I got my driver's license a friend's mom set us up with gig moving furniture from apartments in and around Boston. Good money back in the day, nearly three times minimum wage.

The summer after HS I worked in a hospital kitchen. I learned how to clean everything.

After a year at a small college I entered a co-op gig, working for engineering firms alternated semesters. Been doing design work ever since.

Transferred to UMass Amherst, drove a bus 15 hours/ week for three years until I graduated. Worked every "vacation" at my old engineering firm.

Worked for ConnDOT for one year. I learned how inefficient and soul-destroying government can be.

Followed my wife to Syracuse NY. Applied for jobs at three firms and got three offers. The best was a 110+ firm in Cazenovia, a gorgeous little town filled with great folks. I was with them for six years before a contractor-client made me an offer that I could not refuse.

For that job I built what was then the largest sewage sludge recycling program in NY State, using the N-Viro Process. Headed up dozens of "Town Hall" speaking engagements to educate the public about our product. Sold product to hundreds of farms throughout the region. I hired a friend of mine from my old firm, and he's still working there. I quit after three. The project ran for 25 years until local politics shut it down.

Started my own little design firm after that gig and been at it for 30 years.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote