View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 10:57am   #19
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,006 Times in 2,778 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

When I was a kid, I spent at least four hours a day learning songs and solos from records. Then, when tab came about, I learned entire artist catalogs (Rush, SRV, Boston, Etc.). Hundreds of songs.

I also played with my friends who were st similar levels of development and learned from better players. By the time I was 18, I played 3-4 gigs a week with different bands. I also went to open jams to learn how to improvise. I played scales until my fingers literally bled.

I performed 5-6 times a week for seven years (18-25) with dozens of different bands. I studied all the great blues originators, learning all their stuff.

At 25, I dropped out of music to go to school. Except I had only one skill to pay for it, so it was back to 3-4 gigs a week, plus teaching for another five years.

I started a company and performed 2-3x a week for another 18 years.

I didn’t take any lessons but learned (stole) things from hundreds of players. I stoped practicing many years ago and generally don’t rehearse but my point is, I did a lot of that.

I also habe spend many many hours doing ear training. Specific exercises to recognize pitch and intervals. Very boring but invaluable.

This is the effort it takes. (And I’m mediocre compared to the players around me).

Joe Bonamassa practiced 12 hours a day.

Malcom Gladwell’s book “Outliers” features a study that established that mastery requires on average at least 10k hours no matter the subject.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote