Old 08-27-2010, 7:18pm   #43
thegreenman
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #22
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
When you tune a car that doesn't already have a wideband do you just stick a sensor up the tailpipe or do you replace one of the existing O2 sensors while you tune?

Also, I want to install a wideband on my coupe but am a little confused on where to mount it. Some people say in the X pipe which sounds good to me but the manufacturer and a lot of other people say it needs to go before the cat (I have LG hi-flo cats). If I put it before the cat I worry that it will only be reading one bank. What should I do?

I'm putting the wideband in because I am adding a nitrous kit to the car if that matters.

Thanks
Don't take this to the bank, but this is what I have read on the internet and that has to be factual because it is on the internet.

The wideband is supposed to be installed before the cats (between cat and headers). When being tuned with a probe in the tailpipe it isn't as accurate.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/s...LM1_Manual.pdf

Think about what the catalytic converter does.

HowStuffWorks "What is a catalytic converter and how does it work?"

"A catalytic converter is a device that uses a catalyst to convert three harmful compounds in car exhaust into harmless compounds."

If you have a wideband in after the cats, it is not reading the actual output of your engine. For example, if you are running rich the cat will try to burn off the excess gas and your wideband will not report the actual engine output.

You can you tune with a wideband after the cats or in the tailpipe it just woun't be as accruate.

Or you could do it the easy way, take it down to Ed @c VA Speed.