Thread: Smokers
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 12:03pm   #7
high desert
Barn Stall Owner #8
Activity: 0%

Location: I'm sittin' in a bar on the inside, waitin' for a ride on the outside in Verdi, NV
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90676

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTheTop View Post
They look pretty nice, I'd never heard of them.

I'm not sure I can offer any tips for that rig. All I'm using is a Chargriller with the Texas Smoker attached to the side. I use lump charcoal and assorted wood chips.

One thing I can't stress enough, is getting one of those remote thermometers with the dual probes. I was never able to trust any grill thermometer when it came to the task of smoking.

Remote thermometer is definitely on my list. It's a pain to keep lifting the lid to check internal temperatures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
You don't have to buy that exact brand remote probe unit, I have a Polder dual-probe, among others, and they are fine. The trick is to never let your probes experience direct heat. 400 or below and they will last for a very long time. If they see direct heat, maybe twice.

The pros use an actual thermocouple. I haven't sprung for one of them yet but ThermoWorks is the Rolls Royce of food thermometers. I have one of their instant-read models and love it.
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping you would post in this thread. Any other tips, tricks or recipes you care to share? What's your favorite cut of meat / wood choice combination?
high desert is offline   Reply With Quote