Old 03-15-2023, 2:09pm   #117
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,844 Times in 3,876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
Bringing this one to the top! My son and I found some time to play with the big ole 6 banger on Sunday! It's almost ready to drop back in the truck. Since I'm going back to the stock motor I've found a couple more items....rusted out choke tubes into the manifold (no one repops) I was able to drill out the remaining piece! Luck also is with me as I have two choke tubes from the 390 I can use. Next, the smog pump is frozen. I can just leave the belt off but I'd really like to either free it up or send it out for repair. Other than that, I'm thinking I should throw the carb in the trash and buy a brand new one, this one has been played with IMO not looking to good....

Stay tuned, oh...... I've yet to set the valves/rockers, never tried this before?

I'll get some pictures up later!
At least hold onto the original carb. New carbs tend to be marginal quality and the remans are terrible. You are better off having the original gone through by a competent person. The most common issue with your type of carb is that the main body comes loose and it leaks vacuum. The cure takes about 10 minutes to remove the carb, tighten the screws back up from underneath, and re-install it. I must have done a million of those back in the day. Every straight 6 Ford had a loose carb. But the carb itself almost never went bad.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote