View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 7:41am   #506
erickpl
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $111433

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
Guess I should post something before this thread drops to the 3rd or 4th page. Let me start by saying, this just looks like a bunch of clouds unless you view it large. It's not.

I recently upgraded my astrophotography camera to a purpose built monochrome astro camera. Without a lot of boring details, it provides sharper photos than a DSLR but requires the use of filters to capture red, green and blue light separately. The photos are merged to create a color image.

A mono camera also means one can use narrow band filters which block all but very small portions of the visible spectrum. This is a big deal as there are only a few days each month around the new moon when I can take photos. If it's cloudy during those nights... wait until next month. But Using one of these means I can capture images from my patio even though I live between Dallas and Ft. Worth and can barely see the big dipper on a good night. The filter blocks nearly all of the light pollution and this was taken when the moon was 3/4s full.

For now this image is just monochrome but I plan to merge it with color data at some point or maybe merge with data from two other narrow band filters I have then colors will be 'assigned' to each set of images. Many of the Hubble images are created in this manner. The colors aren't true to reality but they depict the object in a very detailed manner. So here's the image... the North American Nebula, aka, NGC7000. It appears to cover an area in the sky about the size of 4 moons. Though it's not evident in this photo, the NA nebula in a wider view looks remarkably like North America. If you use your imagination, the lower right quadrant of in this photo resembles the east coast and New England. In this photo, The Pelican Nebula is also partially visible at the top of the frame.
A lot of words to say, "Here's a black and white picture of a nebula." Post away if you have any questions. I'll answer if I can or just make something up.

Attachment 27553
Keller USED to be out in the sticks. Not any more!!!! I lived there for a spell back in the 90's in the neighborhood that was behind the Diamond grocery store, then lived in Trophy Club. Visiting there last year, we drove right past Trophy Club because we didn't recognize the area. Now Keller is in the middle of it. Wonder if the drive up 377 to Denton is still as fast as it used to be back in 1990.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote