Old 09-18-2021, 7:59pm   #32
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,006 Times in 2,778 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I don't know specifically what vehicle you are talking about, but the last serpentine belt I replaced was on a 2003 Explorer. I literally put a 3/8" socket extension into a hole in the idler pulley, and turned the wrench to relieve the pressure on the belt, and it practically fell off on its own. Putting the new one on was as simple as following the routing diagram, and twisting the idler pulley again to get the belt on, and letting go. It was very likely the EASIEST part replacement I have EVER done on ANY vehicle.

The one previous to that was my 1991 Olds Cutlass Supreme. That was a couple of decades ago, but I recall that one was also extremely easy too. My recommendation: Save your money and replace the belt yourself. With the belt off, examine the pulleys carefully. I'm guessing they might look just fine. If they do, put the new belt on and see if anything is making noise.
This is a 2010 Chrysler Sebring. It's a transverse four banger. You have to remove the pass. wheel, inner fender liner and you have barely enough room for your hand to fit. We have to replace tensioner and idler. You can't even see the idler pulley. NOTHING like an Explorer.

This car is known as one of the worst cars to work on. The ****ing battery is inside the front fender.

We've done the job once. To put the belt on, takes two people. One under and one working top side. you can't see half the pulleys, you have to feel your way. can't reach the idler pulley at all. it's a nightmare.

The other reason is that I want the shop responsible for getting rid of the screeching sound. If it was just changing the belt I might do it again but there are other issues there that I don't want to deal with.

I had a 2004 Explorer Limited with the V8. I did everything from new intake manifold, entire front suspension, transmission swap, alternator - I can't even remember all the shit.

I replaced the A/C in my C5, replaced the shocks with Z06 shocks, fixed the vent doors, fixed the electric seat, the rear window

I built my C2 - every bolt, every washer. Sectioned frame, built the engine, did the upholstery, replaced the windshield, designed my own wiring - literally did the entire car.

I'm not afraid to tackle shit. But that belt - never again. Plus, we have so much to do I don't need anything more.

Also - the boy is paying for it. I'm saving him $2,600 so I figure that's close enough.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post: