Old 08-01-2018, 2:31pm   #12
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 1.8%

Thanked 9,003 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
I find Alien Gear Holsters to be clunky and bulkier than they need to be because of their "cookie cutter" modular design. They are trying to be a "jack of all trades" holster which compromises form and overall concealability. Because of their price point, they use injection molded plastics and synthetic materials that don't last. Finally, from an extended wear standpoint- I wear a holster 12 plus hours a day, 7 days a week, the Alien Gear, causes accelerated wear on the trigger housing and muzzle end of the slide due to it's retention points. Every holster I've ever had probably causes a bit of holster wear, but owing to the design of the Alien Gear, this wear is really noticeable. At the end of the day, my guns are tools and I could live with some wear, but I won't trade off concealability, and during the summer, I wear a holster under a t-shirt, and the Alien Gear prints more than other holsters I have.

Again, probably a fine holster for an entry level user who doesn't plan on carrying a gun 24/7. I’d say the Shape Shifter is “good enough” at most things, but not great at anything. Since my mode of carry is pretty consistently IWB, I’ll take the holster that’s widely considered “the best” at IWB.
Wow. I agree with all of that. You pretty much nailed it upon review. It does stick out more using the paddle. The belt slide can’t be canted. I can see the gun printing more. Luckily I don’t care.

I did notice the retention scheme just last night. That’s actually pretty shitty. (The holster has a small adjustible tab that locks onto the trigger guard - definitely will mar the weapon.)

I should know better than to ever doubt your gear knowledge. Right on.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote