View Single Post
Old 09-12-2021, 3:03pm   #1
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333
Default I think my career is over. Thankfully.

I’m ****ing burned out on my profession and I’m stopping. I am a marketing consultant for companies that sell to other businesses (B2B). My usual gig is to be a virtual chief marketing officer on a contract basis instead of hiring. This gives smaller and midsized clients more experience for half the cost.

It’s ****ing hard to sell. I’m good at selling it but it can take six months to close a deal. I’m constantly publishing and doing events, speaking, etc. if I’m not doing that I’m doing admin, client work, cleaning the shitter or taking a nap.

The pay is great (starts at $10k a month) when you have clients. COVID pretty much destroyed that.

This has been the worst year financially in the history of the company. Our revenues are down 100X from 2018.

Plus clients are either stupid or stupid dickheads. Who needs it?

Now I will focus on my wife’s company as her V.P. Of business development. We set up a graphic design and production company under a different name. My job is to get clients. Her job is to manage a team of contractors to build websites, design materials, do SEO, branding, video, etc.

Fees are half of my consulting fee but simpler, more demand, lower price point, more transactional. More scalable. But way lower margins.

Work load will be the same. I’m old and tired. It’s getting harder to keep up just when I need to work extra hard to start over again. This will be the third time we have started over from zero in our adult lives.

It looks like a giant mountain right now. I’m seriously unsure if I have the stamina to pull it off.

My condition will eventually make it impossible for me to work. I have zero idea what happens after that. I’m pretty sure I won’t be getting that new C8.

Music is good for tens of dollars a year. So I think it’s the right course. We started out as a design firm three decades ago.

They key is finding clients who have regular needs, not the one offs. They will pay more for professional service and work. (We are not bargain basement and not expensive - competitive for professional firm)

It’s happening slowly but surely. You can help by sending us the strength we need to make it happen. Beam it from your big, stupid hearts right up our bungholes.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post: