Old 02-26-2011, 1:35pm   #22
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
The state is not broke from just Arnold, I know I am from there and the rest of my family still does oive there, oh several are state govt workers and Arnold did have the take some pay cuts, they still have jobs though and very happy with that. Seems the dems controlled the house and senate so it is a bia-partisan issue for the state of Calif is in and now the Dems have the hole issue on themselves.
True, the state was in financial trouble before Arnold came on the scene. But he increased the debt by over 40 billion dollars while he was governor with bonds. (A pretty radical departure from his campaign promise to "balance the budget by cutting out the waste")
It took a two-thirds majority to pass the state budget, so Democrats have never had "control" of that. California had Republican governors for 16 years before Gray Davis, who was recalled from office before finishing one term. There's plenty of blame to go around to both political parties.

What's going to be interesting now is we just passed a ballot initiative that allows a simple majority to pass the state budget. And with a Democrat in the Governor's office, their party will own the budget for better or worse. If I was a Republican legislator in Sacramento right now, I don't even know what would be the point in showing up for work.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote