Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEXjs View Post
Exactly how it was explained to me but I still can't get my head around it.

My thoughts are that in order for the electricity to determine there is no ground/path it still has to flow through you. So why wouldn't you feel it or get electrocuted?
It only takes a very small amount of charge to accumulate for the potential of the line to match the potential of the helicopter/occupants. And this charge will always distribute on its most happy resting place which is the outside of a metal shell. You'll get about the same amount of charge on your body that you'd get by rubbing a balloon on your hair. And indeed, your hair would probably be sorta frizzed out as the like-charged particles (electrons in this case) that are on each hair repel one another. Like when you see people who touch Tesla coils. The potential is very high, the charge/current is very very low.

Would you feel anything in the helicopter? I'm sure you would, but it wouldn't be unpleasant, just perhaps a bit unnerving to n00bs. If you were actually inside the helicopter, you wouldn't feel anything because you are essentially inside of a Faraday cage. The net charge inside a Faraday cage is zero. All the charge is on the outside.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post: