Old 03-17-2024, 6:37pm   #16
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,006 Times in 2,778 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifeinMI View Post
Still working on mine, but not NEARLY to the level of precision of yours, and very slowly due to limitations from ET. Still trying to paint some details before assembly, and putting off installing LEDs and wiring as long as I can. I decided to give myself some motivation by ordering my next project, a Moebius 18" dia. Jupiter 2. Can't start that until the Refit is done.
It’s a bear to paint.

I’m not really a “modeler” I’ve just had this obsession with this model since 2007.

My first one had a simple handmade board that lit up the entire model and handled strobes and slow slashing nav lights. It only had one color Aztec - pearl white over flat white. It lasted about three weeks until my son hit it with a volley ball and it was destroyed.

The second one never got finished it had a three color Aztec. It ended up being a parts and testing mule to get this last one right.

I have scavenged parts from the previous models as well as decals. The hardest thing was painting. It took a month to figure out how thin the colors needed to be to get a subtle look that still is pearlescent in red, good, blue, green, over flat white.

I bought an airbrush which made a big difference. The paint is from a taxidermy shop for doing iridescent fish. This thing shimmers.

Once it’s all buttoned up, it will get a coat of acrylic clear sealer (actually flooring finish) then sprayed with flat clear to knock the shine down.

If it ever makes it that far. It’s getting a beating in this wiring debacle.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote