View Single Post
Old 09-29-2022, 9:13am   #8
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,543 Times in 3,695 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Started out collecting returnable bottles and turning them in. I saved my money, my brother bought comics and candy. Did the expected chores around the house (lawn mowing, hedge trimming, garbage, etc. for .50 a week allowance. At age 8, on the weekends visiting dad at his commune, I opened a 'restaurant' where I would cook burgers and make rice and salads for the people in the commune who were too stoned to prepare their own food. I learned the basics of capitalism at that point. At 12, helped out with friends paper routes and mowed lawns, pulled weeds, painted houses and furniture, etc. for neighbors. This was model airplane money for my control line stuff. In Jr. High and High, heavier work for friends of the family, landscaping stuff, hauling stuff, etc. Then into the work force at an auto shop, then a motorcycle dealer. After a year, went to state university, sold Cutco door to door for gas money (tough job) and after a year, quit and went to work as a tune up tech for a chain....learned a lot and got hired by a large tire company and I was off to the races. Retired a year ago tomorrow comfortably with no worries.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post: