Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,650 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartleker View Post
Bake at 200-225 covered until it is around 120-125 degrees. Pull it out and let is rest and it should come up to 130 or so (takes 20 minutes). Use a digital thermometer so you can keep track of it.

Heat the oven to 500 degrees and pull the thermometer out. Put the roast back in for 10-15 minutes and do your best to set the smoke detector off. Pull it out and let it rest for another 10 minutes, slice, and serve.
This is good advice. To properly crust the prime rib, it's a good idea to start at low heat and finish with high heat...the reverse of conventional wisdom. Reason? The higher the cooking heat, the more damage is done to the meat protiens and as a result, you lose more of the juices during the cooking process. Start low and slow, then rest it until the "carryover heat" stops, then back in the over for the high heat.

I prefer a Kosher salt/fresh cracked pepper/garlic powder crust.

Don't forget the most important part: The Au Jus. When your prime rib is done roasting, remove it from the pan, wrap it in foil and let it rest for a good 20-25 minutes. More for a larger roast. Take the roasting pan and pour off almost all of the fat, leaving behind the drippings. Put the pan over heat and de-glaze with a liquid. You can use red wine or water, but I prefer beef or veal stock which can now be purchased in any grocery store (my personal favorite is Kitchen Basics).

I use about a cup of stock. When the pan has been de-glazed, add a cup of either red wine or my favorite...port. Brings a little sweetness to the Jus which I like. Crush up some sage and rosemary and put them in the pan and reduce for a few minutes.

Now...I also like to add commercially prepared demi-glace (highly reduced veal stock...almost a gelatin). It gives a superb flavor. I also add about 1/4 stick of butter for a smooth finish.

I then strain the Jus through a strainer and serve with the meat. Don't throw out the leftovers! This is a great sauce to re-heat and serve over beef or with a sandwich as a "French Dip."
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote