69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 4.0%

Thanked 11,501 Times in 5,025 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasTheGiraffe View Post
I’m not sure how it is in your state but in MN you own half of that $42k debt. Marital asset I’m afraid.

Example; I purchased my H-D Limited while we were married. I financed the entire thing and her name wasn’t on the title. It was considered a marital asset.

Again, this is just MN; she’s entitled to 50% of your pension/retirement. And you’re entitled to 50% of hers. (That’s just pension piece)

What you did to further her career has *zero* value in the eyes of the court. “I gave up a promising career as a Llama Rider so she could get her Basket Weaving PhD” is irrelevant.

Now some completely unsolicited advice; “This is ****in’ WAR!” is expensive and harder on you than you could ever imagine. I’m not advocating you cave into all her demands but give careful consideration to what it’s gonna cost you in lawyer fees to retain that $500.00 ice auger.
Yes, I am on the hook for her debt also. I never thought it possible to loathe a person as much as I do her. Plus there is still 50-70k of equity in the house that she is getting. I have never once threatened to mess with her teacher retirement and investments. I guess enough isn't enough. And yes, I realize that everything I sacrificed is for naught.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 69camfrk For This Useful Post: