10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,061 Times in 17,072 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
I have, IMO, one of the sharpest and most honest A/C guys I know. He told me that the only thing the 3M filters do is restrict airflow. He suggested getting the least expensive air filters you can buy and change them frequently. You'll save money not only because your system won't have to work as hard, but the filters themselves will be much cheaper. And the difference in allergens will be negligible.

I get a bulk pack of filters and change them every 4 months.

Here's another suggestion...and don't laugh...I bought a Roomba. My daughter has one and she loves it. So I bought one (not the most expensive one, you don't need all those bells and whistles) and I run it every other day. You should see the amount of hair and dust this thing picks up! I have a dog that sheds a lot and lots of trees and flowers on my lot and have had zero allergy issues.

Getting the pleated filters gives more surface area for the air to flow through, and cleaner air running through should extend the life of the system. Both of my units are 24 years old. One has never even been touched, and the other had a new A-coil, a condenser fan, and a capacitor. I credit the longevity of both units partially on clean intake air.
bill_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post: