View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 8:19am   #19
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 35.6%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,866 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

As a pipefitter/welder I did my share of high work. Mostly on the large towers some chemical plants use. Been up on top by climbing the ladder, riding in a work bucket and a couple times in a Bosuns chair. I got to admit working on the towers it was strange to see the birds flying much lower than where you were! Also worked a lot on the tall buildings of Albany's Empire state Plaza, (AKA South Mall)

After I took a 22' fall that busted me up, (fell off a slippery cigar tank) and spent 2 weeks in hospital and six months out of work I was the one that determined what I would or would not climb or ride. If I felt safe I would go very high, if t was a situation I was not comfortable I played ground man. That distance could be 5' to 500' it was my prerogative!

My FIL was a iron worker and did a lot of climbing, one of his sayings was once your over 30', height does not matter! Most of his work was in the no hard hat or safety harness era. He worked a lot in NYC and the bridges in the area!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote