View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 11:07am   #8
Marmaduke
Barn Raising III
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $637

Quote:
Originally Posted by skips2002 View Post
I am getting service messages on the computer display for the Traction Control System. It affects the Antilock Brake System and the Cruise Control System. I am looking for possible causes and solutions to the problem.
I'm having the same problem with my 1999 C5 . . . . it's the "Steering Wheel Position Sensor" located on the bottom end of the steering column under the dash.

GM no longer manufactures the sensor (well, actually Bosh manufactures them. GM and Bosh have had a falling out, so Bosh stopped manufacturing them). So, Chevy (GM) dealers can’t order the sensors from GM anymore.

NOTE: The 1998/1999 C5 Sensor are different from later model Vettes, e.g., 2000 and later, so the newer sensors are not interchangeable. . . .

OPTIONS: Locate and order a used Sensor (not easy to find and if you do the salvage folks are charging as much for the used part as you would pay for a new one). That's what I've done. . . . .

I’m having my 1999 C5 worked on now (as we speak). I had to buy a “USED” Sensor ($350.00 ~ Used).

What's Involved: To replace the sensor the steering wheel and steering column have to be removed ($$$$ ~ Labor). For me, this is the second “used” sensor I have order and having installed. I was lucky; the shop that’s working on my Vette (and ordered the first sensor) didn’t charge me for the part or the labor on the first attempt at replacing the sensor.
(I’m hoping this 2nd sensor will take care of the problem).

FYI ~ Cost for part and labor can run upwards to $600.-$800. (it ain’t cheap) !

FYI ~ This is a known problem by GM, but no resolution seems to be in the making.
Marmaduke is offline   Reply With Quote