View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 1:37pm   #1
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590
Default I watched a documentary yesterday

about the Minnesota wing of the Commemorative Air Force. They focused on a B25 that they have and the preparations to take it to a reunion of Doolittle's Raiders a few years ago. The last member of that group died last year. He was 103.

They had 17 B25s at the reunion they showed, and I think five of the original Raiders were still living. They interviewed one of them and he told the story of how they got to be volunteers for that mission. He said they posted a call for volunteers on the base bulletin board that said they were looking for 20 B25 crews from the base for a classified mission that would be very dangerous. He said every single man at the base signed up. The actual mission wound up using 16 planes. They weren't told what the target was until the ship they were on left port.

Another interesting fact was about Doolittle himself. We all know him as a daredevil who raced airplanes in the 30s and was a maverick. What most don't know was he had a Doctorate degree from MIT in Aeronautical Engineering. It was the first such degree ever issued. I had the pleasure of meeting him once at an air show in the early 80s.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post: