View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 2:18pm   #13
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

This is only for Loco Vette, the rest of you can just bypass.

A few years ago my dad and I played at his country club's member/guest tournament. It's five flights of six two-man teams each. You play five 9-hole best ball matches against each team in your flight, over two days. It's handicapped too. Really fun format. Tons of betting in the Calcutta.

The back nine on his course had been totally redone (took them almost two years) and they got it ready just in time for the tournament. I played it once during a practice round the day before the tournament. I think they gave me a 15 handicap because my official handicap was a 13 then but that course is hard and at that point I'd never shot better than an 88. Usually a lot worse. My dad had a slightly lower handicap.

So on day 2 we go up against the best team in our flight. Two guys about 35 years old, and I'm wondering how in the hell they are even in our flight? We were literally the rock-bottom dwellers. Anyway I'm shocked to see that I only get one stroke on a single hole, and that one of them actually get a stroke. I was extremely dubious of their claimed handicaps, let's just say that.

On that 9-holes on the brand new back 9 I played my heart out. My dad was having a terrible time and was picking up on pretty much every single hole. I ended up shooting even par, straight up even par over the first 8 holes on this new course, and now (because of where we started) our last hole was #14, the hardest hole on the whole damn course. I hit a really good drive, then hit a 6-iron to within three feet for birdie. Plus this is the hole I got my stroke! But here's the thing. I had to make that birdie to win, because one of them also had a stroke and would probably par it because they were MUCH better than they should have been, especially this guy. They tried to act like "Oh wow, we legit never play this good, wowsers." Meanwhile I legit NEVER play this good but am on fire.

Anyway I miss the three foot birdie putt and we ended up tying that match. It still bothers me. We were the only team to tie them, they beat everyone else in our flight like rented stepchildren. First place in the flight was a cash prize of $1200, so I guess they really needed the money or something. We ended up in third place I think. I've never before or since shot even par over 9 holes on that course.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote