View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 12:42pm   #10
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Having a house built, there are a few things that I wish I'd done different. This is by no means a comprehensive list.

1. Make sure they use good interior paint, specifically not contractor-grade flat paint. Egg shell/semi-gloss is the way to go. Pittsburgh Paint, Sherwin Williams, or other premium brand (not Lowes Depot.) Get all color codes in a file.

2. Go ahead and spend a bit more on your bathroom/kitchen. Even if it stings a bit. It's cheaper in the long run.

3. Spend more on windows than you were initially planning, get premium windows that will last 50 years or more. You'll save on energy too.

4. Make sure you don't skimp on the HVAC. Insist on very high efficiency HVAC equipment.

5. Garage. Big. Need I say more?

6. Laundry room, make sure it's roomy. Your wife will thank you.

7. Hot water. Consider getting two hot water tanks or tankless. One for kitchen/laundry and one for the rest of the house. Size them accordingly.

8. Carpet. Just...don't. Hardwood/tile/stone flooring and throw rugs as appropriate. If going hardwood, the engineered stuff is really good now. Make sure it's at least 1800 on the hardness scale. Preferably even harder.

9. Plant your trees ASAP. Plant them with them being big later in mind.

10. Get nicer switches/outlets than the usual contractor grade. Check out Legrand for instance. Can lights can lights can lights. If getting LED lighting, and you want to dim it, you'll find that you really need to make sure the dimmer and lights are compatible.

That's enough for now! Congrats!
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post: