Old 09-20-2022, 10:02pm   #5
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 1.8%

Thanked 9,004 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 View Post
So it's a high pass filter that shunts the lower frequencies off to ground. The variable resistor allows you to pick and choose which frequency the pass takes place at. And they thought I wasn't paying attention in class 43 years ago....
Close. It doesn’t shunt low frequencies. They stay almost the same. When you turn down the pot (a variable rheostat) it shunts some treble to ground. Just enough to make it sound sort of lifeless.

The mod (which can be as simple as putting a resister either parallel or in a series between the leads of a capacitor) “bleeds” treble back into the circuit. Turning the resistor determines how much treble gets reinjected and how much is shunted to ground.

The result is a usable volume knob that retains its tone at lower volume settings. You might want this if you turn down to play rhythm (with amp cranked) then up for solos.

You can also set the amp dirty, dial down to clean then back with just the volume knob. I just bought a fancier version of a simple mod.

I would have to try all different values until I got the amount of treble I want. This way, I dial it in.

I should have done this years ago.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote