Old 01-22-2020, 8:48am   #81
JetMechZ16
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 9,866 Times in 3,759 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $856744

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
One of each kid. They are both in their late 40s now and doing well. I didn't actually raise them, they were grown and had moved out when I met my wife 30 years ago. I can tell you this, anyone who thinks a kid is only an 18 year responsibility has never had one.
A truer statement I've never heard! When i was 19 I left my parents home and never returned (except to visit), and never asked for anything. Not that they wouldn't have given me something if I asked but I never needed to ask. Somehow this is what I expected of my kids. Boy was I wrong. The youngest is 28 and doing fine, the 2 oldest are also fine. They all have needed some help here and there which I was fine providing. Now my 30 year old is a disaster. And I just don't have the energy to write about her right now. Let's just say we have raised her son more than she ever has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3C7NIC View Post
Ugh. There would be some strict guidelines and a timeframe if that was ever allowed. If their situation was due to no fault of their own we would help. If dumb decisions got them there, there is a good chance it would be a solid No.
My daughter knew not to ask to come and live with us. Her son, well her choices aren't his fault, so he can live with us. The problem arose when my MIL stuck her nose into things and told my daughter it was fine for her to move back with us. I was pissed, who the hell does she think she is to offer my home to anyone? She knows now not to ever speak for me or my wife ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
Hard to say no when there's a baby in their arms. But yes, serious guidelines are in order.
They will try to use the child against you. I've told my daughter if she even remotely loves her son that she better never try and use him against me. I told her they would both be homeless at that point and she believes me. I don't think I could ever put him out, but she has to believe I would.
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JetMechZ16 For This Useful Post: