Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKMCD View Post
For example LG's G5X3 on a 112 has 13 degrees of overlap. I had a cam that had 19 degrees. It was pretty much untunable.
I'm running 20° overlap (240/244-111 lsa), and had little trouble tuning it in myself. Yes, there was a lot of time spent experimenting and tweaking the tune to get it there, I wouldn't be surprised if I've flashed the PCM 200 times by now. But I am not a pro tuner by any means, I learned as I progressed.

It idles stable, is no problem in stop n go traffic, re-starts nicely and settles into idle right away. The usual trouble points that tuners hate about huge cams.

It does surge a bit below 1500RPM in the lower gears, so guess what, I don't drive below 1500RPM. Heck, I didn't even drive below 1500 RPM when it was stock, why would I want to now?

As for the other downsides, I LIKE the loud, the outrageous loping and shaking, and I have no emissions concerns to deal with. The sweet smell of unburnt fuel also does not bother me.

The usual use of my car is to shows and cruise nights, where loud and outrageous is the name of the game. Or, going out to run the twisty rural backroads with the sole intention of burning up a tank of gas as quickly as possible. And maybe the occasional freeway roll-on match...which I usually downshift to 3rd to initiate. (M6 car)
All in all, I really don't care what it does below 3000RPMs, and have never found a need to either. The manners are fine enough to cruise in traffic sedately, and it's more than ballsy enough when the power IS called on. What lies in between those extremes is of little concern. I don't drive it daily, I almost never drive it to work, and rarely in heavy traffic (unless unavoidable). It's just a toy, not transportation to me.

For those purposes, a baby cam is not at all what I would want, and I'm not at all unhappy with my current cam choice...it's done everything I wanted it to do, and then some. If I had to do it over, my next one will be bigger yet.
I've run against 224/228 cars already with $$ heads, and Mamofied FAST90 intake, I know the results too. NFW would I ever go to a smaller cam.

As with anything, there is no right or wrong here, a cam choice is personal preference, and it sounds like your needs and desires for a street car are considerably different than mine.
Thats exactly why I asked the OP what his preferences were in post #2, before suggesting anything.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote