Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post

7. I just a few minutes ago jacked it up, turned off the traction control and with it off the ground, took it to about 40 and it is pretty loud

8. I decided to see if it would do it in reverse and it does NOT. I took it to about 40 in reverse and did not hear the same sound.
These two things suggest gear noise.

A bearing, axle, etc would not make noise in only one direction.. The meshing of the differential gears, and which side of the teeth are being loaded, would.

Thought it's quite rare to hear of a factory (Getrag) assembled diff becoming noisy from incorrect tooth mesh, it's not impossible. If it was a tuner-built box, then it's a more common complaint.

Finding a good, used differential isn't that costly. Especially for an A4 car. Lots of people with A4s upgrade to 3.42 ratio, leaving the 2.73 and 3.15 boxes somewhat undesirable (and cheap). Changing the diff can be done in 2-3 hours without the need to fully remove the drivetrain.

If it turns out to be this, you also may wish to consider upgrading to a 3.42 diff out of a 6spd for a little added acceleration kick, but when doing this, a higher stall tq converter becomes a recommended compliment, as is some minor tuning to adjust shift points. Not absolutely essential, but recommended.

Being that it's impossible to ID a noise of this nature over a forum, I would find a trusted mechanic near you to have a listen and advise accordingly before proceeding or just throwing parts at it.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post: