View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 6:31pm   #13
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 46.4%

Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,116 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Got the 'scope together, got the camera battery charged, re-figured out how to do a polar alignment. Western sky had light cirrus clouds, but I could see both planets through it. I got the camera mounted in time to take 2 pics before they dropped below thicker cloud cover, so we are done for tonight. Wife is downstairs seeing if she still has the ability to get the images off our archaic digital camera. Fingers crossed I'll get SOMETHING!

Edited to add: THIS is why I started on this a week plus before the peak. Camera operator sent me two pick of just one dot of light. I asked her what she saw in the camera display when she took the pic, and she said "that". She had already seen the two planets in the eyepiece, but didn't mention that she couldn't see it on the camera display.

Tonight's production = nothing.

Edited to add: Despite last night's total failure (I suspect the cause was purely intercranial problems on the part of one member of the team), my wife ordered a new camera mount that will take a smart phone. We did some practicing today, and got some clear pics of twigs that were 70+ yards away, so we should get something the next clear night (cloudy and foggy here tonight though).

I'm not sure why she is in such a hurry to ditch the Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS, although a full decade old, it has as many pixels as her iPhone 11, and has a 4X zoom with the camera's internal optics (not digital zoom). But, who am I to judge?
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post: