Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
Both are normal behavior. Do you have dog training experience?

The key to tame puppies is to never let them out of your sight. This can be tough but that’s why the crate is important. If you can’t watch them, they can stay in the crate. Let young ones out to pee every two hours. Carry them outside to the designated pee area. They LOVE the crate after they get used to it. 2-4 days. It’s instinctive behavior and becomes a safe space.

If you see chewing, simply say “no!.” In a command voice (no hitting) and redirect them to an appropriate chew toy. He must chew to get his teeth in and strengthen his jaw and muscles. He will quickly figure it out. Expect a few mistakes like your new couch, favorite book or glasses.

As for biting, his mouth is his number one way of exploring his world. I tell people to First work on soft mouth trying. Simply use the “no bite” command and push you hand into his mouth. He won’t like that. You can also grab his lower jaw and hold it until he cry’s or tries to get away. Release it. I also say “easy” when we are trying soft mouth. He will learn to play but not bite.

And when he clamps down too hard, use the command. Praise when he is gentle,

Then move on to zero biting if you wish. To,erase zero tooth contact. Be aware dogs have incredible control over teeth. If you feel teeth, it’s not an accident.

We do both soft mouth for play like throwing balls and rough housing. But if you bite at all, you get reprimanded.

Any correction must be done during the act. Even if you miss the window for a few seconds he won’t connect the correction with the behavior. He might even think you are scolding him for stopping. Let it go and catch him next time.

PM me if you need help. Go,dens are a walk in the park compared to GSDs.
Solid advice here. I’d add nothing. And Goldens are highly trainable. Try to correct bad behavior in a two year, 200# Mastiff. That’ll humble a guy.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote