View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 5:30pm   #1
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471
Default I got out Ole Faithful today and took a drive...

Ole Faithful is my '67 Vette Roadster:

Click image for larger version

Name:	67 001.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	676.2 KB
ID:	13596

I call her that because she's an almost totally original car except for new paint and seat covers, and she never causes any problems (knock on wood). Low mileage (47K), original carpet, engine and transmission never rebuilt. Automatic transmission, both tops, PS, A/C, 327/300, bolt-on wheels, and factory side pipes, which is odd for a small block with automatic transmission.

She always cranks right up and unlike body-off restorations she's tight and rattle free. I think why she's superior in that respect is that when we do a body-off restoration, we're so careful about not applying too much caulk in the body seams, glue on weatherstrip, etc. that we lose the sound deadening that generously applied factory sealers give. Of course with side pipes I may not be hearing any rattles....

She's a pleasure to drive: Tracks beautifully, suspension is tight and firm, shifts just right, and everything works. And those side pipes, while they take a bit of getting used to, are music to my ears! When you floor-board her, all Hell breaks loose it seems! It's not like 435 HP, but it's certainly ample.
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	687.0 KB
ID:	13597

Tomorrow I'll wax the bumpers, wipe down the engine compartment (still very clean after all these years), clean and vacuum the interior. The off we'll go again! The local police recognize me when I'm on the road, and they never give me a problem because they know I'm a good driver and that I hold it down when I'm in the City. The only time I get stopped is because they want to look at the car.

Why don't y'all post some pics and stories about your Vette? It'd be a good change of pace for VBOT.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lspencer534 For This Useful Post: