View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 12:44pm   #6
Entropy
Fantasy Football Champ '12
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 1,264 Times in 766 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $90918

I'm glad that the author took the time to describe the improvements to manufacturing that caused us to not need as many workers, and also included the fact that farmers now are more efficient at producing crops than at any other time in history.

Why am I in the public sector? Because when I was looking at jobs 5+ years ago, that's who I got calls back from, interviews and job offers. Maybe that's a critique on my abilities, or that's just the reality of the situation. Either which way, many of my friends who went to graduate school weren't thinking about industry afterwards, the instability of it after spending so much time and energy on the degree was a little nauseating. Most of them are in academia or research institutes.

I'm also finding that is incredibly hard to get out of where I'm at. I'm not getting call backs for the research jobs I apply for. It's making me wonder if I've been marked as "unfit" since I'm trying to come from the public sector. My accomplishments in labs don't seem to matter, not the critical thinking that went into those achievements. It's very frustrating.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote