Old 07-04-2021, 7:26am   #166
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 33.5%

Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red L98. View Post
I have made sauces. Pizza sauce is my favorite because a batch is good for a lot of pizzas. It takes time and TLC if you want to do it right. I start with fresh romanos which are almost as good a base as the san marzanos. But sometimes I don’t have time and don’t give a shit and just want to put something on the table. Start with jar sauce and start doctoring. There are halfway decent jar sauces that can be made decent with a little help and hungry little tummies wolf down happily.

To this day a kid will heat a jar of something, cook pasta, devour. Nothing wrong with that either i suppose. Kids.
I think we agree much more than we disagree. The only problem with starting with a jarred sauce is that they almost always have a shit ton of sugar in them, with no way to get it out. If you like a very sweet sauce, that won't be a problem for you, but I don't like sweet sauce on pasta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerovette View Post
I'd like to know how to make pizza sauce. What is the fundamental difference between spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce? It would seem that it has to have more of every spice to break through the other flavors of the pizza whereas spaghetti sauce only has to compete with noodles.
I would say generally, pizza sauce is denser, and often has more spices. If you start from fresh tomatoes, blanch them and remove the skin. Then cut them up, and wash out the watery stuff with the seeds, leaving only the meat of the tomato. This is a good start to both pizza sauce, and a pasta sauce if you want it to be pretty dense. When making pizza sauce, it is good to remember that the sauce flavor will be competing with the cheese and toppings in the flavor department. Personally, I will used more black pepper in pizza sauce than pasta sauce, and may even add more heat, like crushed red pepper that I have ground down even finer (I can't find my mortar and pestle!). A lot of people will put a lot of oregano in pizza sauce, which is a large part of the "smell of a pizzeria", but really, you should put in whatever you like!
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote