Thread: Sciatica
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2022, 3:57pm   #20
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 33.5%

Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,121 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

August 2016, I woke up with excruciating pain in what I called my hip. The nurses kept saying it wasn't my hip, it was my butt. Anyway, it was right where the thigh bone connects to the pelvic bone, and they all said it was sciatica, which I am sure it was.

Sciatica is a general term for pain caused by an impingement of the sciatic nerve. Said another way, saying you have "sciatica pain" really isn't very helpful, as what you really want to do is figure out what is impinging the nerve, and treat that as the underlying cause, rather than just treating the symptom = pain.

In my case, the impingement was caused by a nasty herniated disc at L5/L6. I'll save the gory details and skip to what worked: Oral steroids. I did a 7 day steroid pack, and at the end of it, I thought it didn't work. But about a week or two later, I started to notice that each day, the pain was just a tiny bit less than the day before. It was 6 months before I could sit in a chair for more than a few minutes, but after a year or so, I would say I'm basically healed.

Good luck! Make them give you an MRI!
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote