Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 33,673 Times in 13,636 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post
The bottom line once the power goes out many times you do not have a clue how long that can be. It could be long enough for the power company to get a crew at the location and take a dead squirrel of the transformer wires. It could be the time necessary to replace a pole hit by a car or a tree branch taking out some wire.

Then again it could be a super bad snow storm, those power outs could last for days and of course its not that easy working in -20F weather, so that ads to the time. (FWIW I have worked out side in those tempts and if your putting out a 1/3 of the work you do in good weather your real unusual!)

Then we get the real nasty stuff a ice storm now those bastards can take out power for multiple weeks. Just getting around to fix could be nasty and I have seen where over a mile of high voltage wires and tower's went to the ground.

You got to be prepared for what your area is capable of doing to you.

In my case I have a whole house propane genny a shared 500 Gal tank. (general house use & genny) At that point the only thing other than running the genny is to also power the furnace. Also have a pellet stove that while not big enough to do the whole house will help a lot and a deal worked out with the summer only people that if I can make it to their property to take out the 4'6'' tanks they have and utilize them at my house.
The only thing I think I would run from a generator is two window units I have for auxiliary use and my refrigerators. Maybe a modem/router assuming cable and internet are functioning. I would not need a large generator. I just haven't had reason enough to justify something that would sit 99.9% of the time. I'm sure I'll think differently the next time I lose power, but it's only sucked one time and that was the big freeze.
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote