View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 1:35pm   #1
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 9,005 Times in 2,777 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333
Default First night at legendary club tonight

Lordy Lordy. Some of the folks from Asleep at the Wheel are joining me at Saxon Pub tonight. I heard a rumor people plan out shows. Like they have “song lists” and shit. And they “know songs” and stuff.

This gig will be what is affectionately known as Show and Blow. I’m going to whip some Billie Holiday on those good ‘Ol boys. And Count Basie.

Seriously, Floyd Domino is in the top 1% of players for Western swing, jazz, Boogie Woogie and blues piano. He is also an encyclopedia of the history of American piano styles. Joined The Wheel at age 19 and is George Strait’s piano man too.

Katie Shore has been with the Wheel 8 years. She is a bad ass singer and fiddle player. Rounding it up on drums is Jason Corbierre from Roomful of Blues and Jimmie Vaughan’s band and Johnny Winter bassist Mark Epstein. Who has also played with The Wheel!

What an honor to play with these guys. The Saxon Pub is a landmark in the music business. Bonnie Raitt plays there! The place is plastered with photos from all the greats who performed on that stage.

I complain a lot here but in reality, I’m blessed.

Austin was where I got my music sensibility as a young man. In my mind, it’s always been THE place to perform. I could not have imagined it playing out like it has.

I may be the luckiest bandleader alive.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post: