View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 9:11pm   #67
Will
Barn Stall Owner #15
Fantasy Football Champ '11,'13,'17
Activity: 0%

Location: Somewhere between mild insanity and complete psychosis.
Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,241 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1050381

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb396 View Post
Fwiw, im an Ace and AFPA certified trainer, if any of you guys/gals have any questions on strength, cardio, or any type of training, lemme know, ill help however I can!!
Thanks! Barrage Incoming:

How possible/impossible will it be for me to build more upper body muscle mass with no access to weights?

I have this $100 POS:

And some push-up bars.

Allegedly, on the steepest incline and using all 4 resistance bands, the Weider POS is giving me 55% of my body weight + 50 lbs. I find it hard to believe that I was able to biceps curl 160 lbs, 80 lbs per arm, 23 times in a set. I ain't that ripped.

At any rate, I'm maxed out on the settings, losing weight is only going to make it worse, and I'm already at 20+ reps for curls, bench press (which is really more of an inclined press given your body angle I guess) and seated rows. Only pull-ups give me challenged. I do a set lying on my back with arms wide, and a set lying on my chest gripping the inner bars with my fists.

If I just keeping doing more reps am I just going to be burning calories and not increasing muscle mass???

I'm going to replace bench press with push-ups I think since push-ups using the push up bars and touching my chin to the carpet are actually challenging vs. the bench press on that thing. Is there anything I can do for my biceps short of spending $$$$ I don't have on dumbells??? Because sadly I can't do that. Also door frames are a no-go for those door frame pull-up bars.

Also, I was working out 2.5 times per week. On, off, off, On, off, off, On ... etc.

I was doing 5 exercises, 3 sets:

1. Curls
2. Bench Press
3. Close-Grip Pull-Ups
4. Seated Rows
5. Wide-Grip Pull-Ups

And doing max reps each time, so that my reps decreased in the second and third sets as my muscles tired and I couldn't do as many.

Is this the right way to go, or should I go with a lesser number of reps at first and shoot for a number that I can sustain through all 3 sets?

Would you recommend going to 3 set days a week instead of the on, off, off pattern giving me 2.5 on average?

Finally, nutrition. I am losing weight now and I want to lose FAST, so I've set a calorie deficit of ~800 to 1000lbs as max maximum daily allowance at 1600. I'm shooting for and have averaged so far a 1400 calorie average. My carbs are moderately low, averaging 60g per day and around 24g sugar. Haven't been checking but I'm sure my fiber is good. I get a good chunk of my carbs from fiber one bars, and I also take a citrucel pill every AM anyway.

While I'm eating so few calories, should I not work out as hard/much? Or keep doing what I was since it wasn't exactly extreme?

What is your opinion on creatine for someone like me? I have these pills:

They allege no water-weight retention. Didn't seem to notice any when taking them and I seemed to recover really well. Should I keep popping them pre-workout or just forget them?

My post-workout recovery drink is MetRX low carb protein powder + almond milk. Good???

Cliff Notes: I am poor and stuck at home with a child help me get sexy biceps and a decent looking chest and back for free.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote