View Single Post
Old 01-12-2021, 8:39am   #43
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 36.0%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,408 Times in 1,866 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
"Best" one when I was welding a truss for a big church in Philadelphia , it was 14' x 70'

I'm on a ladder welding overhead when I "lost" my puddle. Down my shirt and as I jumped off the 8' ladder I was standing on, I pulled out my pants at the waist as it rolled down my right left ( glad I dress to the left ) and luckily only sat on the top of my boot for a second.

I had a nice burn where it splashed against my neck, "dance" marks down my chest and leg with a minor blister on the inside of my right calf. I was one of the guys that tied my boots. Two trains of thought. Tight to keep out the splatter or loose to be able to kick them off.

Every welder I know can recognize the smell of burning jeans with the slightest of a scent.
A common thing in the trade is having someone walk by and calmly say "your on fire'', you reply thank you and calmly take care of it. Its not your first time and it wont be the last.

I also tied my high top boots and always had my pants leg go over the boot, never bloused. Also never had a cuff, had them cut off and sewed shut, no place to let the klinkers find a home! Not looking to win a beautiful welder prize!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote