Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 7.6%

Thanked 32,997 Times in 14,148 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
How far off is the actual from the ceremonial? Is it moving because the ice is moving, or is it a bit of axis wobble?
the ceremonial is next to the runway, and pretty much stays put relative to the buildings and runway. the actual pole moves relative to the ice and buildings, because the ice is moving as a mass. it moves about 10 meters per year.

the year i was there was the first year (1994) they used GPS to locate the pole. previously, they had located it over the course of several days using sextants, and for the next 10 or so years, they knew how fast, and thus how far, the ice moved, and they knew the direction, so they would just measure out 10 meters in the proper direction and plant a new marker.

so i have a pic or me at the that pole, and you can see in the background the prior locations, and the GPS location was about 6 feet from the location using the old method that year (they measured and planted a marker both ways that year).

over time, the actual pole went thru one of the old buildings (pretty sure it's down now) and is moving away from the runway, so it is likely that it is not in an area not generally accessible to normal people, as it was headed to the old sewer waste pit area.

let me see if i can take a pic of my pic and post it.

brb.
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post: