Old 06-08-2021, 4:07pm   #10
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,055 Times in 3,116 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 View Post
While insane (and I squarely blame government "help" for that), it's still semi affordable if you go to a public school.

All the PA public schools (Penn State, Temple, Pitt, and the state schools--West Chester U, Bloomsburg U., etc) are about $15k per year (tuition). Not cheap, but not "completely outrageous", IMO. Especially if you live with your parents so no room/board and meal expenses.

$60k for a useful degree? Not bad. Work even part time for 4 years and I bet you can pay down $30-$40k before you even graduate ($20-$30k total debt). Work full time summers and part time school year (like I did), graduate with ZERO debt (like I did).

It was not easy. But graduating with ZERO debt and a degree and some cash in the bank worked for me.

It doesn't take a genius to execute this plan. Just a student with strong work ethic.

I am so tired of hearing story after story of people who made horrible financial decisions, and are DESPERATE to blame someone else. Here in NJ, an in-state resident can go to two years of community college, and two years of Rutgers University, a very highly respected school for Engineering, and if you pay STICKER PRICE, it will still be about $50,000 TOTAL. Get that Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering, and the average starting salary is just shy of $60,000 per year! If you can show you have ANY kind of financial hardship, or significant academic achievement, you will pay WELL LESS than sticker price.

Every one of these stories is about someone who let their kids "follow their dream", when they should have known that they, and their kid, couldn't afford "the dream".

Then, they want the taxpayer to bail them out because they made a bad decision. What a crock of shit! So all the taxpayers that decided not to go to college, learned a marketable skill, and make good money now have to pitch in to bail these idiots out? All the folks like me who paid full price (which means I already paid for about 6 kids who aren't mine to go to school on "scholarship") have to chip in again for those who were just foolish? If so, where does it end? I've made mistakes trading stocks, and lost money. Should the taxpayers who don't have any money to invest, AND those who invested wisely, be required to bail me out? What about folks who are irresponsible with credit card debt? Should all those who manage their credit competently be required to bail them out?
Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post: