10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,421 Times in 17,231 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
I'd pay that gladly to have peace of mind.
Ya, I hear you man.... It is what it is though.
You think, "I can afford to pay more at each fill up, so who cares?" You haven't considered the massive inflation that will result as the price of everything you and everyone else buys skyrockets. Every single thing you own was transported on a truck, ship, rail car, or pipeline, and higher transportation costs equal higher prices for everything. Compound that with the fact that everything MADE from oil and gas gets dramatically more expensive. Do you use plastic? Do you buy tires? Do you use things made out of steel? (We use coke...coal, to make steel.) The cost of that stuff gets a double whammy increase, first because of the huge increase in raw material cost, then the increased transport costs.

If you'll recall, it was $ 5/gal diesel that was a large part of crashing the economy in 2008. Why do you think it was so important for the US to be energy independent? Low and stable energy prices are necessary for an economy to flourish.

Edit: As I recall, one of our members works for an aluminum company that operates smelters. Plants had to be closed when the price of natural gas skyrocketed. People lost their jobs. Tax revenue evaporated. High energy prices have real world, negative consequences to lots of Americans.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post: