View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 5:46pm   #5
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,214 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4309769

Intermittent problems are the worst....

Soooo....that being said, what I need to know is this: During a no-start event, is this an issue of insufficient fuel pressure due to a fuel flow problem, or is it an electrical issue that the ECM is not firing (ie...grounding) the injectors? You will have to troubleshoot it during an event....

First thing to do is measure fuel pressure during an event. Not simple on a TBI setup, but not difficult...just takes some setup beforehand. You will need a low pressure (preferably 0-15 psi) gauge, some rubber fuel injection line, and a "T" fitting. You will find the fuel lines running under the passenger side. By the front wheel, you'll see the fuel filter. Attach a T fitting in the PRESSURE (larger) line just forward of the filter, and run this line to your gauge.

You can also have a fitting welded into the crossover tube between the throttle bodies. I did this and had a corresponding fitting put on my low pressure gauge. Cost $30....BEST mod I ever did....made checking fuel pressure a snap.

You should get 9-13 psi at key on without cranking the engine. Unlike a port injected motor, fuel pressure on a Crossfire should fall to zero immediately after the 2 second prime signal from the ECM. This is normal. If you don't get any fuel pressure, run a 12V wire from the + terminal on the battery to terminal G on the ALDL connector....

this energizes the fuel pump full time. Now tell me what you have on your gauge. If you still have zero, we have a flow problem....pump or wiring.....if you have fuel pressure (9-13) but no injector pulse, we have an electrical problem, probably ECM related......but we'll cross that bridge if / when we get to it.

Check it out and report back. This one should be an easy fix.
Frizlefrak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frizlefrak For This Useful Post: