View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 7:17am   #13
JetMechZ16
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 9,866 Times in 3,759 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $856744

That reminds me of the trip home from one of my deployments.

I was on our last P-3 leaving Sigonella. The skipper was flying, weather, temps, and power requirements were all figured out early about 0800. Finally at about 1030-1100 we went to take off. Just below rotation speed the flight engineer called a low power on #1. The Skipper called to abort the takeoff and the flight engineer pulled all four engines into reverse, as he did this #3 flamed out and the prop started driving itself to the feathered position. As it did this it was driving the blade angle from reverse to full feather and put a huge amount of drag on #3 side of the aircraft which tried to drive us off the runway while we were still at speed. The skipper countered with full rudder and he regained control. We taxied back to the ramp and started to assess what happened.

After some discussion it was determined that the low power wasn't really a low power. The temps had gone up enough to affect the engine output and when recalculated it was within spec.

So now what cause the flameout on #3? We had been having problems with this engine and an RPM flux. We had changed the prop control and believed it was fixed, but apparently it was not. I told the skipper that if it was not the prop control it was likely the fuel control although the telltale signs of it being a fuel control were not there (no fuel flow fluxuation) There was not a fuel control to be had at Sigonella at the time so the Skipper wanted to know if the aircraft would make it home. I told him yes but we had to baby #3 into reverse or it would flame out again.

So we take off again uneventfully and fly to the Azores stopping for fuel. Before we land the Skipper tells me he wants me to bring #3 into reverse while the FE controls the other 3 engines. This was kind of awkward as there was not a seat for me and I was on the floor reaching between the FE and the controls to grab the power lever for #3. When we landed the FE brought the other 3 engines into reverse at the normal pace and I brought #3 into reverse at a much slower pace to allow the engine to keep up with the prop blade angle position.

We did this again in Keflavik Iceland, Bermuda, and finally Jax Florida.
JetMechZ16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JetMechZ16 For This Useful Post: