Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 13,012 Times in 7,322 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908
Default Buying vacant land for recreational use [acreage question]

I'm considering trading a free and clear house in the city for 10 acres of land that is pretty much just what I would want ... no need to pay any sewer/water tap fees, it's already cleared just the way I would clear it if I had to clear it, it's about as rural as it can get (which is what I want), has utility services already in place - power, landline telephone, and a co-op water service which is pretty affordable, and a very usable 4G cellphone service. There is a septic tank that works.

It even has a pull-thru double RV Metal roof shelter so I can park my 43' Glamper-Model fifth wheel and leave it up there. The F-450 Dually would sit comfortably in the other sheltered space.

There are two other portable outbuildings. I don't know if they leak but they are probably good for something. There are two good-sized rooms built on either side of the metal roof - one has a water heater, washer and dryer connections, and what looks like toilet and tub plumbing connections. There is a toilet and a new fiberglass tub surround that have never been installed. There is also a very old (70's or 80's) junk fifth wheel that could be sold, moved and used as storage, or trashed.

It's fifteen minutes to the County Seat... plenty of shopping, EMS, fire, hospital are all right there. There is paved and well-marked access all the way up to the property, which has about a 1/3 to 1/2 mile dirt driveway.

Couple of security gates... just enough neighbors within a few miles to suit me... a big chain link fenced-in area around the camper which is cleared enough to discourage snakes and maybe a few other critters to protect Molly... heck, it's just what I've been looking for. If the wind is blowing just right you can barely hear a train whistle.

I know at least one of you regulars owns vacant property that you use for RV/camping/weekend getaways.

My question is, have any of you that own such property found that you regret having bought it? Either you underestimated how much/little time you would be using it, or you find you're trying to sell it and it's harder than you thought it would be, etc?

Help me avoid making a mistake before it's too late.

It sure looks like a little slice of heaven to me.

Obligatory Pics

I LOVE the deer moss!!

Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post: