Old 09-26-2017, 9:15am   #121
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Maybe another major terrorist attack on our soil (and it will happen) will remind some people how good they have it here. That's a terrible thing to say, but consider that you wouldn't have seen any of this behavior after 9/11.

Here's something else to consider: They began playing the National Anthem at baseball games during World War I as a display of patriotism during a world conflict. After the conflict was over, it probably should have stopped. That said, it has become a custom, so I pay respect. But now it's not just the National Anthem. It's the National Anthem and God Bless America. And lets point out a soldier in the crowd. And let's have a military indoctrination for 100 new recruits. And lets have a bunch of wives who's husbands are overseas get a plaque. And it goes on.

Like everything else in this country, we always overdo things like this as a result of some perceived guilt and shame to the point where it not only feels contrived, but is actually kind of nauseating. Politicizing major events in these ways doesn't make us a better country filled with better Americans. It's just another show.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iron Chef For This Useful Post: