10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 41,826 Times in 17,404 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHorse View Post
Running my own business, we receive these BS scam calls all the time (especially "This is John from Medicare Services").

If I have time, I'll lead them on and play for a while (I figure more time with me, less time for them to scam the gullible).

You should learn 3 words in Hindi. Gand Mara Debjit
The more you answer, the more lists your phone number goes on. The scammers sell each other lists of numbers where people answer the phone. I used to do the same thing, and at one point, was up to about 20 scam calls a day. Thankfully, I had mostly transitioned away from that line for business calls.

I tried not answering at all, even went so far as to have the line disconnected for a month, but still. they kept calling. I bought a phone set that requires callers who haven't been pre-approved to announce their name, then press pound, in order to make the phone ring. That pretty much put a stop to scammers getting through, but even now, almost a year after I quit talking to them, the calls persist.

The calls still show up on the caller ID, so I know the volume of scam calls.

Saturday: 4
Friday: 4
Thursday: 7
Wednesday: 12
Tuesday: 10

I am almost to the point of just dropping that phone number and starting fresh, but I'm stubborn, and I won't let the terrorists win. I can only recall a couple of times a scammer actually pressed pound, and the phone rang, but I knew anyone not giving their name to be recorded and played on the caller ID announcement was a scam.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote