View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 2:15pm   #16
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

You have a BGE, which is very similar to my Primo XL as far as cooking goes. I have two ways to make brisket that are pretty much foolproof and quite easy actually.

1. Low and slow. Trim full packer brisket (I almost always do whole briskets but flats are OK too), rinse off and pat dry, and rub about 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce into the meat. Let that soak in for a few minutes and add a decent amount of dry rub, heavy on the black pepper and paprika, kosher salt, turbonado sugar, granulated garlic, granulated onion, chili powder (I like ground ancho chili with some ground chipotle mixed in), dried mustard, and cayenne. Let this sit on the meat overnight in the fridge, uncovered if possible.

Smoke using whatever favorite wood you like at about 200-225 (I tend towards 225) until the internal temp is 195-200. Put the meat on as the smoker is still coming up to temp to maximize smoke penetration. Take off, wrap in foil, and then towels or just put it back on the smoker with the vents closed off. Rest for at least 2 hours, then slice against the grain and serve with good BBQ sauce.

2. Fast brisket, I'll do the rub the same but before going on the smoker I'll smear some yellow mustard for a protective layer on the outside. Do the brisket the same way as above shoot for 200 at first. After about 2 increase smoker temp to 300 in stages, and cook until internal hits 170-175. Remove, wrap in foil with 1 cup apple juice added, leave probe in, seal, and put back on. When it hits 195 shut off vents and leave brisket in the smoker for at least 2 hours, then remove from foil and slice against grain and serve with BBQ sauce.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote