09CTSV
Charter Member
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,686 Times in 652 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2106426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I imagine FERC compliance is a pretty big deal for you?
Yes for our power plant. Whole bunch of regulations. We have our own power plant plus 4 tie lines feeding into/out of the plant. Vectren has a station next to us, Culley, which could feed one of the pot lines if needed. I've actually had to do the switching over to the Pot Line interchange when our power plant had issues with a Breaker for two of our pot lines. Christmas day last year, 3 hours of downtime on two of the lines. If we touch on 1 hour we are scrambling, two we are very nervous it might not recover. At 3 hours we are pretty sure we will loose at least 75 of the 150 pots. We came out of it not loosing a single pot.

Our rectifier road is pretty impressive with all the main regulating transformers, then the individual skid transformers and phase shift transformers. Line 3 has 1 Main and 10 rectifier transformers, Line 4 and 5 each have 1 main and 6 rectifier transformers. Each rectifier transformer feeds two skids. Each rectifier transformer can provide approximately 14KVA to the skids. The lines are 700VDC at 132,000 each.
Lots of air switches, pringles and Gas switches. For the rest of the plant there is a multitude of substations my Maintenance department is responsible for maintenance on. We keep two power engineers busy on our side plus the one at the power plant.

You can google Alcoa Warrick Operations and see the size of the plant.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 1.27.09 PM.jpg  

09CTSV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 09CTSV For This Useful Post: