Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
Centronics. What an upgrade from serial!

Our mainframe/COBOL programmers back in the '80s/'90s wanted color monitors to the IBM mainframe. Talk about crazy expensive! I think several thousands of $ back then. Along that time is when the 286 CPU came out. We could buy a 286 PC with an emulator card for far less. The graphic card was EGA/EGA monitor. There was a hot-key to hop between the mainframe and the PC side of things. Alt-Esc. With a mainframe you were only sending screen shots basically anyway. I know some people that dealt with propagating inventory to eCommerce sites found two or more monitors helpful.
Back in the day, we were a VAR for DataPoint. Hardware was crazy expensive. When PCs hit the ground, we were able to compile our code on that platform and run. As PC hardware prices came down, I had two PCs on my desk, on an ARC network. I would write code on one PC and test on the other. Because network.

When monitors became cheap, and PCs could support two monitors, I went that route.

Now, in my home office, I have a 27" monitor attached to my MacBookPro. I have several apps/windows open, mostly overlapped, so I can access them quickly. My workstation doesn't support more than 2 external monitors, so I don't believe I need a second one.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post: