View Single Post
Old 08-20-2022, 10:10pm   #12
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 1,362 Times in 534 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Yep, that's it. Dave Hlubek from Molly Hatchet. So details about the guitar:

When Hamer sponsored Dave, they offered to build him any kind of custom guitar he wanted, and this was the design. It's the only one Hamer ever built, but spanned a large number of copies from Japan in particular. Hamer started to build "New Vintage" Guitars, the idea to be building guitars as good as what Fender and Gibson used to make and whose quality dropped a lot in the mid 70's. The company had only 4 workers/ owners/ employees total until 1980. This guitar was hand built in 1979 by those four, making it collectable as an early Hamer in it's own right. It's been played by Dave, DJB, Steve and a few others over the years. While it was toured HARD for many years, it is in amazing shape overall. Clear coat cracking and a little yellowing, but no major chips or dents anywhere. Even has it's original factory case.

*** Added edit- The pickups are hand wound Dimarzio pickups. Made by the man himself before he started his company to make pickups!

It currently belongs to somebody I know, as Dave passed away a few years ago. I'm working with him on COA and defining it's history so he can place it for auction in hopes of getting it to a future owner that will preserve it and it's legacy long term. I have played it, and it plays great, no wonder Dave could make it sing. Dave was often local in Orlando, and was such a nice, encouraging guy to me as a new player. To have played his most notable guitar was quite an honor.

Rather fitting I ask the Jacksonville musician about it and he's too tired to figure it out! I miss the days of the Allmans, Skynyrds, Hatchets Blackfoots, Axe and Outlaws...too many of the great players are gone now.
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chemtrails99 For This Useful Post: