Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
I said IRA or 401k which can't be touched until you are 62 without severe penalty. Not an equity funded brokerage account like you said.
You are totally correct though. There is no comparison and I would never suggest to anyone in his position to try trading stocks.
A blind squirrel could have made 10% last year in a Vanguard or Janus 401k fund. It looks like a blind squirrel could do it this year too.
Three years ago was easy money too.
In three years with interest compounding, he could have been up 35%, or $17,500 on his $50k and have 67k in the 401k right now.
That is a very conservative estimate.
The '64 Vette ??? Is it appreciating that much or is it still just a money sucking pig?
BTW... If you go bankrupt, they can't touch your 401k. If you get sued, they can't touch your 401k. YOU can't touch your 401k until you are 62. It is a protected asset.
I'm not saying, I'm just saying, you know what I'm saying?
Yes, I know what you are saying, however NONE of it applies to the OP. For your numbers to work for him, he would have to go back in time and fund an IRA and/or a 401k if he was working for a company. You cannot go dumping 50g's into an IRA all at once. It has to be earned income and the limit is $5,500 per year. But you already know that, so why try and hammer the shit out of a fellow member here who has had some VERY shitty luck when it comes to his health? It comes off like you just want to boast of your investment knowledge.

Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote